Frequently Asked Questions


GME Consumer FAQs

Q. What is UHF CB vs 27 MHz

A. The Citizen Band Radio Service (CBRS) is a two-way, short distance, voice communications service that provides a cheap, reliable means of communication.
The service operates in two frequency bands: 27 MHz and 477 MHz UHF.
27 MHz is an AM transmission while 477 MHz UHF CB is an FM transmission and gives clear, crisp local communication without long-distance interference.

Q. Common channels to use

A. There are a total of 80 channels available with UHF CB, so there should always be channels free of conversation to use. Some of the channels have been allocated for specific uses.

- Ch 5 should only be used for emergencies

- Ch 11 is the officially designated call channel to link up with specific people before moving off to another channel to communicate

- Ch 22-23 are designated telemetry/Selcall channels and voice transmission is inhibited as required under the standard - AS/NZS 4365.2010

- Ch 1~8; 31~38 are used for communicating with repeaters and radio must be used in duplex mode

Q. What is CTCSS / DCS

A. Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System (CTCSS) is a means by which a receiving radio will remain silent until it receives a transmission that includes a special audio tone. As long as this tone is continuously received, you will be able to hear the person who is transmitting.
Digital Coded Squelch (DCS) is somewhat similar, but instead of sending a continuous tone of differing frequency, a Digital data transmission is added to the radio signal.
One method is not necessarily better than the other. The radios you are using have to have the same ability to send and receive the same coding signal, no matter which of the two you use.
The function of CTCSS or DCS is to keep you from hearing others, not to keep others from hearing you.

Q. Voice Inversion Scrambler

A. User selectable, will make your voice unintelligible to others not using the same scrambler technology, providing a new level of privacy.

Q. SelCall

A. Selcall (selective calling) is a type of squelch protocol used in radio communications systems, in which transmissions include a brief burst of sequential audio tones. Receivers that are set to respond to the transmitted tone sequence will open their squelch, while others will remain muted.  Selcall uses the transmission of audio tones that are recognisable to receivers fitted with a compatible decoder.

Q. Advanced Signal Management

A. Identifies interference caused by strong local signals on adjacent channels and prevents these from opening your squelch control. Also minimises distortion of reception by fine tuning the receiver frequency to match that of the incoming signal. A unique GME feature that is critical to the optimum performance of 80 channel radios ensuring that incoming signals remain interference free, clear, and undistorted, even if they are slightly off frequency.

Q. Dynamic Volume Control

A. Modulation levels of signals can vary considerably resulting in noticeable differences in received volume between channels. With the introduction of 80 channel narrowband transmissions, the disparity in audio volume will increase further.  GME’s DVC automatically compensates for variations in received audio level. When activated, this feature provides a constant audio output level greatly enhancing the quality of reception and the simplicity of use.

Q. DSC – Digital Selective Calling

A. Digital Selective Calling (DSC) is a means of sending pre-determined digital messages between stations over HF and VHF Marine radio systems.  DSC transceivers are able to send distress alerts which include the vessel’s MMSI number and GPS location along with the time at which that location was determined. The radio operator can send an alert by a single press of a button and the alert will then repeat automatically.

Further information on GME transceivers with DSC functionality is available here:
VHF hand held radio
VHF fixed mount radio

Q. Programmable receive channels

A. Some radios have extra receive only channels, which means you will be able to program your radio to listen to these but you will not be able to talk on them.

Q. Tail Cancelling

A. Eliminates the squelch noise burst in a receiving radio by delaying the audio slightly.

Q. What is ScanSuite – link to microsite


Q. Marine frequencies – 27 MHz and VHF explained

A. There are both technical and licensing differences between 27 MHz Marine Radios and VHF Marine Radios. 27 MHz radios are typically utilised on inshore waters, and have a maximum range typically between 8 and 16 km.  VHF radios are both clearer and more powerful and are the radio of choice for offshore use. None the less, they can also be utilised for inshore applications. The maximum range of a VHF radio is typically up to 20 km between vessels or up to 50km from a shore base. (see: range of your signal on the water)

Another big advantage of VHF radios is that VHF communications are monitored by coast stations operated by rescue and other organisations.  Vessels can set up logs between themselves and coast stations on coastal voyages, maintaining regular communication, and improving safety.

There are certain usage protocols which must be observed when using a Marine radio. These protocols enable search and rescue authorities to quickly and efficiently assess the situation and act accordingly. Inefficient use of communications equipment can, and does, affect the outcome of a problem on the water. Detailed information about the use of Marine Radios in Australia can be found at the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) website:

Q. Range of your signal on water

A. There are two major factors which determine the range you will be able to transmit with your VHF radio. These are the transmission power of the radio itself, and the height of the antenna. VHF transmission is in a straight line. As a result, the curvature of the Earth forms a barrier which limits the distance you can transmit. By increasing the height of your antenna, you can increase the distance before the signal hits the horizon.  

You can calculate the transmission distance achievable using the following formula:

Range=1.23√Antenna  Height in Feet

So for a mariner using a handheld radio where the antenna is approximately 6 feet above the water, the achievable range is 3.01 nautical miles (5.57km). If the same mariner is talking to another mariner using a handheld radio where the antenna is approximately 6 feet above the water, the two distances are combined, giving a total of 6.02 nautical miles (11.14km).

If the mariner is talking to land base station with an antenna that reaches 400 feet above sea level, and using a fixed mount radio with an antenna that reaches 12 feet above sea level, the distance is far greater at 4.26 nautical miles plus 24.6 nautical miles. This gives a theoretical achievable distance of 28.86 nautical miles.

Other factors which can influence the actual achievable distance include transmission power of the radio, weather as well as obstacles such as islands and waves. 

Q. AIS – What is it?

A. Automatic Identification System (AIS) is a means of sending and receiving ship information such as identity, position, course, speed, ship particulars and cargo information to and from other ships, suitably equipped aircraft and shore.  AIS is transmitted over the VHF band which ensures functionality even in foggy conditions and near obstacles where the performance of radar systems may be compromised.  Applications for AIS include collision avoidance, traffic monitoring and control, aid to navigation and search and rescue.

Q. Does the AIST120 send GPS positional information via the NMEA0183 output port.

A. The AIS cannot provide or output GPS positional information to other equipment via the NMEA 0183 output port. The NMEA output port only sends received AIS data to a compatible chart plotter using the NMEA protocol. The AIST120 includes an internal GPS receiver which independently receives GPS Satellite signals to develop the necessary GPS positional fix. The GPS positional data is attached along with Static-Data (MMSI,Vessel name, Vessel call Sign) when the AIS sends out a vessel Transmission signal.The AIST120 can only be configured to provide GPS positional output data via the USB port lead. The GPS positional data is available for use with laptop devices using charting software. 

Q. Can the AIST120 / AISR120 be wirelessly connected to a laptop or iPad using navigation software.

A. Not without integrating another device. Currently the AIST120 and AISR120 are supplied with a USB connection for direct AIS output messaging intoPC or MAC applications which operate with Navigation Software. There are products on the market which allow Tablets / Laptop / iPad users to be able to wirelessly interface with NMEA type electronic equipment. A ‘Wireless NMEA Multiplexer’ adaptor is designed to send the NMEA output data from the AIST120 / AISR120 via WiFi to the iPad. The NMEA output from both AIS products are standardised, thus if the Wireless adaptor allows data transfer without any loss/ or data drop-out, and the user has AIS compatible charting software loaded on the iPad, then it should be possible to wirelesslyconnect the units.

Q. EPIRBs – Testing your EPIRB (link to video)

A. Testing your EPIRB or PLB is important maintenance task which should form part of your regular safety equipment maintenance routine. A short video demonstrating how to test your EPIRB is located online at

Q. EPIRBs – How does an EPIRB work

A. When activated, an EPIRB transmits information identifying the unit (and therefore the registered owner) in a 406 MHz signal. The signal is relayed via the COSPAS/SARSAT satellite network to the Rescue Co-ordination Centre (in Australia: Australian Maritime Safety Authority, in New Zealand: Maritime New Zealand) where the most appropriate rescue response is initiated and co-ordinated.

If the unit is a GPS equipped EPIRB, the GPS location details are included within the 406 MHz transmission, giving rescue authorities an accurate location to an accuracy of about the size of a football field within minutes.  Without GPS, the location is calculated by triangulation, which may take significantly longer.  To learn more about the benefits of using a GPS equipped EPIRB watch our short explanatory video at

Q. PLB vs. EPIRB– what is the difference

A. The technology used in PLBs and EPIRBs is essentially the same, however there are differences due to the different ways in which these devices are intended to be used.

In Australia it is mandatory to carry a registered EPIRB on vessels travelling greater than 2 nautical miles offshore. An EPIRB is designed to operate at full power for a minimum of 48 hours.  It must be self buoyant, and float in an upright orientation with the antenna clear of the water.  This enables the user to tie the EPIRB (using the supplied lanyard) to a life raft or similar and let the EPIRB float in the ocean with a clear view of the sky whilst taking shelter within the raft.

Q. My EPIRB battery is due to expire, what will it cost to refurbish my beacon and where do I  send it to.

A. The cost will differ depending on the model, please refer to table below. All Beacon refurbishments are performed only by GME head office GME Sydney Service Centre, 17 Gibbon Road, Winston Hills, NSW 2153. Click the following link for more details regarding refurbishment, ie: freight cost and turnaround. Link.

Q. Where do I register my EPIRB or PLB?

A. You can register your beacon either online at or by phone on 1800 406 406.

Q. Can I use my EPIRB Overseas?

A. Beacons are detected world-wide by the global satellite system, COSPAS-SARSAT, and are detected from anywhere on the Earth’s surface if they are deployed correctly. It is recommended you contact your chosen airline for guidance on carrying distress beacons as every airline and airport have differing requirements. Please also note that some countries consider Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) carriage and activation illegal on land. Refer to the COSPAS-SARSAT website for the appropriate SPOC (search and rescue or SAR point of contact) for the country you are travelling to and contact them to confirm you are legally allowed to use your beacon. It is worth noting that the search and rescue response in each country will vary due to different levels of SAR resources and capability. It is recommended that you check locally the sort of SAR response you can expect. This will also depend on the weather conditions at the time the search and rescue is being conducted e.g. day, night, visibility (low cloud, fog, snow), high winds etc. The rescue coordination centre of the country where the beacon is detected will coordinate the search and rescue response, not Australia. AMSA Search and Rescue will only provide the registration details, if known, and any other information it gathers from emergency contacts. AMSA will request information on the progress of the search and rescue.

Q. What is the difference between a Non-GPS equipped and a GPS Equipped EPIRB or PLB?

A. When activated in an emergency, a GME GPS equipped EPIRB firstly obtains its GPS location from the GPS satellite network. This location is then coded into the signal that the EPIRB sends to the COSPAS/SARSAT search and rescue satellite network. Armed with this vital information the rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) knows exactly where to send resources for a fast, effective response. Without GPS technology, the process of calculating a location and search area could take hours, and that’s before a rescue vessel or helicopter has been launched. In a life and death situation, time is everything.

Q. How far will my Two-Way radio transmit?.

A. It’s often difficult to provide a definitive answer regarding the actual ‘distance’ achieved by a mobile or handheld without obtaining some other perspective. 
In the majority of applications the ability of a portable or mobile radio to transmit/ receive an effective RF signal over a given distance will be always determined by the radio Transmit output power, the antenna height/gain and the surrounding landscape. 
In the majority of applications the ability of a portable or mobile radio to transmit/ receive an effective RF signal over a given distance will be always determined by the radio Transmit output power, the Antenna height/gain and the surrounding landscape. 
To obtain a general idea of the expected range we would need to create an ‘ideal’ condition, for example let’s take two 5 watt mobiles fitted in vehicles with similar antennas mounted 1.5 m above ground (typical bull bar height) and travel along a flat open highway (line of sight) until each radio is no longer able to receive. The distance achieved will be the point where the radio no longer receives a signal. Thus a 5 watt transceiver placed under these ‘ideal’ conditions is expected to achieve up to 7-10 kms. 
However if the conditions were to change and one radio went to higher ground the range would be extended. If the conditions were unfavourable and Line of Sight was restricted (built up areas / buildings / hills and valleys / forests, etc.) the range would be reduced. 
In areas where range is difficult to achieve it would be advisable to utilise the local repeater. Many local repeaters are often positioned in high areas of certain city/ country locations which extend the range between radios. UHF CB channels used for repeater operation are found between Ch1- 8 and Ch41-48

Q. Will shortening the Antenna coaxial cable affect the performance?

A. If the coaxial cable is cut and joined correctly there will be minimal effect on the overall performance. Our aerial bases are supplied and fitted with 4.5 meters of 50 ohm coaxial cable, at UHF 477 MHz high-end frequencies the effects imposed from a shorter length of coaxial cable is minimal. 
However it must be understood that coaxial cable is a form of transmission line and comprises of an inner core surrounded by a braided shield which is isolated by a plastic layer. To maintain the integrity and performance after the cable has been cut the cable must be rejoined using coaxial connectors. 
A male PL259 connector is the standard connector used for two-way radio, there is a recommended instruction sheet available from our web site here.
In situations when the coaxial cable is cut and joined a male PL259 connector is required at each open end and connected together by a female in-line adaptor. The connectors and adaptor should be finished and sealed using ‘self amalgamating tape’
Important: We advise customers any damage caused by the work carried out on the product will void the warranty, 

Q. Which is the best type of Antenna for my vehicle.

A. We recommend before deciding on which antenna is the best for your vehicle you may want to ask yourself what conditions and  time you will be spending most of your driving. 
Typical driving conditions may include driving around town, open highway driving, or heavy off-road driving.
We have many variations of antennas in our range which are suitable however our AE4018Kxx series is considered the most popular and good all round performer and usually the favoured antenna for city-country driving whereas for outback off-road conditions the AE47xx fibreglass raydome series are robust and can endure the harsh environment.
All our antennas are operable in various conditions and in most applications the design and construction of the antenna tends to determine where they are most suitable.

Q. Can I connect my GME handheld radio to an external antenna.

A. Yes, however it will depend on the model, the majority of GME portables are fitted with either an SMA or TNC antenna connector. To successfully connect an external antenna to your handheld will require a suitable inline adaptor. Our antennas are currently supplied with a standard PL259 male connector which is fitted onto the coaxial cable at the time of installation. 
A compatible adaptor will allow the external antenna plug to connect with the handheld. The following adaptors are compatible with our handheld radios. AD407 (SO239 to TNC) / AD020 (SO239 to SMA)

Q. How do I stop my CB radio display from continually changing colour.

A. To deactivate colour cycle please follow the procedure that relates to your model.


- Power 'On' radio
- Press and hold the channel selector knob for a few seconds - 'BKLGT' will display on LCD Screen
- Press channel selector briefly to select colour adjustment  "COLOR' will display on LCD screen
- Press the Menu button once (first button on left) 
- The radio colours will stop cycling 
- Press and hold the channel selector knob to exit menu mode

To select the backlighting colour of your choice refer to Page 7 of User manual.


Power ‘On’ radio 
- Press and hold the channel selector knob for a few seconds to put radio into "menu" mode
- Press channel selector briefly to select colour adjustment  "cl" will display on LCD screen
- Press the Menu button once ( first white button on left) 
- The radio colours will stop cycling 
- Press and hold the channel selector knob to exit menu mode

To select the backlighting colour of your choice refer to Page 6 of User manual.


- Power ‘On’ radio
- Press and hold the channel selector knob for a few seconds to put radio into "menu" mode
- Press channel selector briefly to select colour adjustment  "cl" will display on LCD screen
- Press the Menu button once ( first white button on left) 
- The radio colours will stop cycling 
- Press and hold the channel selector knob to exit menu mode

To select the backlighting colour of your choice refer to Page 10 of User manual.


- Power ‘On’ radio
- Press and hold the channel selector knob for a few seconds to put radio into "menu" mode
- Press channel selector briefly to select colour adjustment  "cl" will display on LCD screen
- Press the Menu button once ( first white button on left) 
- The radio colour will now stop cycling 
- Press and hold the channel selector knob to exit menu mode

To select the backlighting colour of your choice refer to Page 10 of User manual.

TX3540S  (MC524)

- Power ‘On’ radio.
- Press and hold the LVL/PRI button to put radio into “Colour selection” mode.
- Briefly press the LVL/PRI button once to select colour adjustment - “color” will display.
- Press the MENU button once.  
- The radio colours will now cycle.
- Press and hold LVL/PRI button to exit colour adjustment.

To select the backlighting colour of your choice refer to Page 10 of User manual.

Q. What do the LED colours mean on my TX6150 Twin-Charger (BCD014).

A. Initially when the BCD014 is applied with power (no batteries) both LEDs will flash Red > Green > Amber > OFF

Single Battery pack charging
When a Battery is placed in Front pocket only( nil in rear pocket) the LED will glow Red to indicate the Battery is Charging. When the Front LED switches to Green the Battery is fully Charged. When a Battery is placed in Rear ONLY, (nil in front pocket) the ‘Rear’ LED will glow Red to indicate the Battery is Charging. When the ‘Rear’ LED switches to Green the Battery is fully charged.

Two Battery packs charging
(Note: FRONT Battery always has priority, the BCD014 only charges one battery at a time). The FRONT Battery will begin Charging indicated by a solid Red LED, the REAR Battery is on Standby shown by a solid Amber LED. When the FRONT Battery has fully charged the LED will switch from RED to GREEN, the Rear LED will then switch from AMBER to RED to indicate charge. When BOTH batteries are fully charged, Both LEDs will show GREEN. The average charging time for a BP015 battery pack is approximately 3.5 hours. To obtain a proper charge it is recommended radios are switched off.

Q. Where are you located and what are your opening hours?

A. The GME Head Office is located at; 17 Gibbon Road Winston Hills NSW, 2153 Australia
Opening hours are between 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (AEST / AEDT).
Our head office can be contacted on +61 2 8867 6000

Q. Can I purchase directly from GME?

A. GME does not sell direct to the public. We have an extensive list of authorised GME Distributors and Stockists across Australia. To find your nearest GME Stockist, please click on the following link and enter your postcode. Link.

Q. Do you have authorised GME repairers who can fix my radio?

A. GME has several Authorised Repairers across Australia. To find your nearest GME Authorised Repairer, please contact 1300 463 463 between 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (AEST / AEDT). 

For any further information please contact 1300 463 463 or email us



GME Professional FAQs

Q. Can I use any microphone with the CM60 Local Control and Remote Control models?

A. We recommend utilising the GME MP600B microphone for all Local Control and Remote Control models. The MP600B has been optimised for the design and operation of our Local Control and Remote Control configurations of the CM60 Professional Radio platform.

The CM60 Professional Radio Series has been developed for mission critical applications, as such, non-compliant components are not recommended to be used. Any usage of non-compliant components will result with GME not being able to guarantee that the system will comply to specification if operating outside the recommended configuration. Also, any non-compliant usage which includes operating outside the recommended configuration may impact our manufacturer’s warranty.

For all Professional Radio product enquiries please contact:


Kingray FAQs

Wiring a House 

Q. I’m wiring a new house, what TV cable should I install?

A. RG6 Quad Shield Coaxial Cable is the most commonly used these days and is also used in the pay TV industry. However RG59, RG59Q, and RG6 are still used.

 Q. I want my new house to have the latest in television services (Terrestrial - Free to Air, Cable TV, Subscription TV, Satellite TV, IPTV, etc), how many cables should I install at each TV point?

A. A minimum of two coaxial cables and one Cat5/6 cable will be sufficient. This will allow for a mix of Satellite TV services, Cable TV services, Terrestrial FTA services, and IPTV/Streaming services. To provide all services simultaneously, run a third coaxial cable.

 Q. Can I run additional cables later on?

A. Depending on how the house is built it may not be possible to run any additional cables at a later stage due to internal wall obstructions, particularly those with two storey houses.

 Using Ethernet Cable (Cat5/Cat6) for Television

Q. I have a new house built, but I only have Ethernet cables installed (cat5/cat6 network cable) to each room, can I send TV signals along this cable and what product can you suggest?

A. Yes, the CATTV product will allow you to distribute TV signals over the Ethernet cable throughout the house. Maximum distance is 75m using UHF TV signals. Greater distances can be achieved using VHF TV signals. Don’t forget the special flyleads KLE02 to match.

 TV Antennas, VHF or UHF

Q. What’s the difference between VHF and UHF signals?

A. VHF or Very High Frequency is used for broadcasting television and FM radio signals amongst other transmissions. For television, the VHF frequency range for Australia is from 174MHz to 230MHz. UHF or Ultra High Frequency is used for broadcasting television, LTE mobile phone amongst other transmissions. For television in Australia, the UHF frequency range is from 526MHz to 694MHz (New Zealand; 470MHz to 694MHz). Note: VHF is more susceptible to impulse interference than UHF e.g. Electric fence and Lightening are examples of sources that cause impulse noise.

 Q. What model antenna do you suggest I install?

A. If you are located in an area receiving UHF signals, we would suggest our Digi 15 Yagi or Digigrid01 Phased Array. There are technical reasons why one would select a specific type of antenna. Some of this information is obtained using an instrument (Field Strength Meter/Analyser) on site and the surrounding landscape, buildings, bridges etc are also taken into consideration. If you are unsure, we would suggest contacting a local installer.    

 Q. How do I know what TV transmitter my antenna is pointing to?

A. There are several sites on the internet that can suggest what transmitter you should be pointing your antenna to or you could try

Q. How high should I mount my TV antenna?

A. Generally speaking, if you have line of sight to the TV tower, then at roof level will be fine, however if you are some distance away from the TV tower or in very hilly terrain, you may need to go higher up to 50’ (15m) off the roof. VHF signals roughly follow the ground contours where as UHF signals are generally line of sign, meaning that if you go over a hill, the signal will drop off rather sharply. If you are not sure, we suggest contacting your local installer as they have an instrument which is able to tell them if the signal is good enough at that location. 

Caravan & RV

Q. What amplifier should I use for my Caravan or RV?

A. Due to the type of terrain you are likely to be situated in, we would suggest a Masthead amplifier with around 15dB to 25dB of gain. This will also need to be wideband as you will come across either VHF or UHF frequency bands. You could use an MHW25FE, MHW25F, MHW25FS, MDA15W, or MDA20H coupled with a PIK170FDC Cigarette Lighter Power Injector or PSK06F Mains plug pack power injector. 

Q. What power supply options/accessories do you have for my Caravan?

A. All of our Masthead amplifiers work from 12 volts DC so using a PIK170FDC Cigarette Lighter Power Injector makes a convenient way of powering your masthead. You can also use a PIK170F however a switch and fuse will need to be installed to power down the amplifier when not in use.

Splitter Amplifiers / Distribution Amplifiers

Q. Which amplifier should I use, a Masthead amplifier or a Splitter amplifier?

A. A Masthead amplifier is designed to amplify weak signals at the antenna and to overcome splitter losses to have sufficient signal to operate a TV tuner. A Splitter amplifier is considered a Distribution amplifier and is designed to work with good signals at the antenna and to overcome splitter losses and extra leads etc to have sufficient signal to operate a TV tuner. Distribution amplifiers are often used where many outlets are required i.e. >20 outlets.

Q. What amplifier do I need to operate 4 TV points in my house?

A. If you have sufficient TV signal to begin with, you can use an SA164F Indoor Splitter Amplifier or SA164R Remote Indoor Splitter Amplifier, or SAM224FS Remote Outdoor Splitter Amplifier. In situations where weak signals are present at the antenna, a masthead amplifier and a passive 4 way splitter (KSP4APP) would be the preferred choice.

Q. Can I use a Splitter amplifier and a Masthead amplifier at the same time?

A. Yes you can where circumstances requires you to install both amplifiers. However there are two important things to remember when installing these amplifiers, 1) There will be a power pass link on the splitter amplifier, in this situation only, you must have this link ON; 2) You will need to replace the power supply to a larger type to be able to power both amplifiers at once, use a PSK18F power supply for this type of installation. Note: It is important to know what signal levels you are feeding from the Masthead amplifier to the Splitter amplifier so you do not overload the second amplifier. An instrument is used to measure the levels so if you are unsure, contact your local Antenna installer to make the adjustments.

Masthead Amplifiers

Q. Which amplifier should I use, a Masthead amplifier or a Distribution amplifier?

A. A Masthead amplifier is designed to amplify weak signals at the antenna and to overcome splitter losses to have sufficient signal at the TV point to operate a tuner. A Splitter amplifier is considered a Distribution amplifier and is designed to work with good signals at the antenna and to overcome splitter and cable losses etc, to have sufficient signal to operate a TV tuner. 

Q. What’s the difference between the Combination input and Separate inputs?

A. The Combination input is used when you are receiving both VHF and UHF from the one antenna (Combination VHF/UHF antenna) where as the Separate input is used when two different antennas are used.

Q. I installed a masthead amplifier, but I cannot seem to get it working, how do I check that the amplifier has got power?

A. There is an LED in all of our amplifiers which when lit, indicates that power has been applied to the amplifier. Also check that if a splitter has been installed that it is a power pass splitter and you have connected the power supply through the correct power passing port.

Gain of an Amplifier

Q. How much gain does my amplifier need?

A. This is related to how much signal you have to begin with at the antenna and how many losses you have within your TV cable network. Generally speaking, if you have 1 or 2 TV points and your television indicates a weak signal, start with something low, between 15dB to 25dB of gain. If you have 3 or more TV points installed, it would be worth going to a higher gain model around 30dB to 35dB gain. (Note: Too much signal can cause TV tuners to overload).

Q. When would I use a high gain amplifier?

A. If you had high losses with-in a cable system (>20 outlets) or an excessively long cable run. e.g. >50m.


Q. I have picture break up (pixilation) should I install an amplifier?

A. That depends if it is related to a weak signal or not. In some cases it could be interference that is causing a problem or just poor signal quality at the antenna. If your television indicates a weak signal but reasonable signal quality i.e. Signal strength = 30%, Signal quality 95%, then we would suggest a Masthead amplifier eg MHW25F with PSK06. In situations where interference is the cause, special filters can be installed to reduce or eliminate the problem i.e. FL3BPMH and/or FL694LP. Where more serious and complicated problems are apparent, we would suggest contacting your local TV antenna installer.

Q. I have heard about the new LTE transmissions (4G mobile phone and broadband services) that started in 2015, could that affect my television reception?

A. Yes, in most cases it affects those with masthead or distribution amplifiers installed. A Low Pass filter (FL694LP) can be installed at the input to any amplifier to reject LTE mobile phone. Do not install the filter after the amplifier as the device could be damaged using remote power supplies and in most cases the problem is caused in the amplifier itself.

Q. How do I stop interference?

A. Ideally, you want to filter out the interference before it gets into the TV system by using filters prior to any amplifier that has been installed or at the input of a splitter if no amplifier is installed. There are two filters that are most commonly used these days, our FL3BPMH Band Pass filter/triplexer and our LTE Low Pass filter FL694LP.  

Q. Is there such a thing as too much signal?

A. Yes, too much signal can overload TV tuners. This generally occurs when you are located very close to the TV transmitter or when a high gain amplifier is installed when a lower gain is more suitable.

Power Supplies

Q. I just moved in to a house that has an amplifier but the previous tenants took the power supply, which one should I purchase?

A. Generally speaking, you should be able to use one of the following; KPS08, PSK08, KPS06 or PSK06 power supply. If you are unsure of the masthead model you have, use a PSK06.

Q. Is a PSK08 an amplifier?

A. No, the PSK08 is a power supply/injector only and requires a masthead amplifier to be mounted under the antenna or in the roof space.

Q. Which power supply should I use, AC or DC?

A. Most of our Masthead amplifiers will work with either AC or DC power supplies (MDAxx amplifiers must use DC only). However, some other factors such as splitters or noisy power lines can dictate a preference. If in doubt, use a KPS06 or PSK06 14volt DC power supply.

Q. We are in a block of units/townhouses and there is no Common power in the roof space to power an amplifier, can we use multiply power supplies.

A. Yes, if you are using a Masthead amplifier, make sure all power supplies are DC and exactly the same model i.e. PSK06 and make sure the splitters installed are ‘All port power pass’ i.e. Any of the Kingray splitter range have this feature KSP2APP, KSP3APP, KSP4APP, KSP6APP, or KSP8APP. If you are using a Splitter amplifier, use multiple PSK06 power supplies. If you are using a Distribution amplifier i.e. DW32 and DW42, use multiple PSK18F DC power supplies. In these types of installations, all residence will share the cost of powering the amplifier.

Q. I have a PSK02 power supply that was installed many years ago; can I still use this power supply on your latest model mastheads?

A. Yes you can on most of our masthead range unless it’s a DC only model eg DC only models, MDAxx series.

Q. How much power is used to run a masthead amplifier and does it cost much?

A. A masthead power supply uses less than 2 watts of power. Depending on your Electrical power provider you are with, this may amount to a couple of dollars per month.


Q. I want to be able to watch my recorded TV shows from the PVR so I can see them on all the TV’s in the house, is this possible?

A. Yes, by purchasing a Kingray KDM101a, and connecting/cabling it in-line prior to any splitter, you will be able to watch on any digital television throughout the house.

Q. Can I use my DVD player downstairs and send the signal upstairs?

A. Yes, when using a modulator that is wired up correctly, you will be able to watch you DVD player from any TV point within the house.

Q. I’m in an area that receives VHF TV signals, what channel do I set the modulator too?

A. It’s advisable to set the modulator in the UHF band if you normally receive TV reception on VHF and vice versa. 

Q. When I connect my modulator to the TV, I get no reception, what could the problem be?

A. You may have the modulator set to the same channel that might be used in a different area. Try setting the output channel of the modulator to another frequency/channel or in some cases, you may need to adjust the output level down to minimum.

For any Kingray product enquiries please contact: